This is a legacy page. Please click here to view the latest version.
Mon 21 Apr 2008, 06:47 GMT

Strike is suspended at Marseille


Normal bunkering operations expected to resume as port workers end strike.



Port workers at the port of Marseille voted Sunday to suspend industrial action against dock reforms, according to an official at the CGT union.

Pascal Galeote, Secretary General of the Marseille port workers section of the CGT union said that he expected normal activities to resume on Monday morning, but added that a new stoppage had been planned for Wednesday.

Strike action at the port of Marseille began on Thursday as workers protested against plans by the government to privatise loading actitivies at state-run ports. The key oil hub of Fos Lavera was paralysed by the stoppage and bunkering operations were hindered as bunker delivery barges were not allowed to berth at the terminal and fuel oil cargoes could not be loaded as a result.

The strike was originally scheduled to end on April 20, but industrial action continued on Sunday as around 20 ships were blocked at the quayside or elsewhere in the harbour. Local sources had expected the strike to continue until April 23 before the vote to suspend the stoppage took place on Sunday.

The Fos-Lavera oil and gas terminal is the world's third biggest port for oil products with 64.2 million tonnes transiting per year. It supplies crude to eight refineries in southeast France with a total capacity of approximately 800,000 barrels per day.


Flex Commodities office in Dubai. Flex Commodities moves Dubai head office to Jumeirah Lakes Towers  

UAE-based firm relocates to waterfront community popular amongst bunker companies.

Echandia Core marine battery system. Echandia: Batteries offer fuel savings by optimising generator loads on large vessels  

Marine batteries could cut auxiliary generator fuel consumption by up to 15%, according to technology firm.

Palermo LNG facility. Amazónica LNG joins SEA-LNG, extending the coalition’s reach into Latin America  

Colombian LNG terminal operator becomes first South American member of the multi-sector industry group.

Launching ceremony of Priority. Hong Lam Marine launches first of four newbuild bunkering vessels  

First ship in the series, Priority, is launched in Jiangmen, China.

CMA CGM Osmium ship-to-ship (STS) bunkering operation. CMA CGM completes world’s largest single-batch biomethanol bunkering at Shanghai  

8,016-tonne operation said to be enough to fuel an entire transoceanic voyage.

ClassNK logo. ClassNK revises alternative fuels guidelines to address hydrogen, methanol and ethanol safety requirements  

Updated guidelines incorporate IMO hydrogen rules and new structural standards for alcohol fuel tanks.

CMA CGM containership. MacGregor wins cargo handling contract for six LNG-powered boxships at Cochin Shipyard  

CMA CGM container vessels are scheduled for delivery between 2029 and 2031.

KRATT vessel. Estonia launches biomethane-battery workboat for state fleet  

38-metre KRATT is said to be the first vessel of its kind in the region.

YM Willpower bunkering operation via SIMOPS. Yang Ming completes first LNG SIMOPS bunkering for YM Willpower in Shanghai  

Dual-fuel boxship receives 2,000 tonnes of LNG during simultaneous cargo operations.

Chris Kruger, AYK Energy. AYK Energy and Gebhard Electro secure two vessel electrification contracts  

A new dredger and a patrol vessel retrofit form the latest battery projects for the duo.


↑  Back to Top