BUNKER INDEX :: Price Index, News and Directory Information for the Marine Fuel Industry



« News Home
:: Monthly Archive

News Topics
:: Air Pollution
:: Agreements & M&A's
:: Alternative Fuels
:: BunkerBlog
:: Cargoes & Storage
:: Company News
:: Efficiency, Costs & Charges
:: Environment
:: Events
:: Financial
:: Fuel Quality & Testing
:: Lubes & Additives
:: Oil Spills
:: People
:: Port News
:: Projects
:: Regulation, Legal
:: Services, Products,Technology
:: Statistics & Research
:: Vessels

Regional Archive
:: Americas
:: Asia/Oceania
:: Europe
:: M.East/Africa


BUNKER INDEX :: Price Index, News and Directory Information for the Marine Fuel Industry
Home » News



Schulte strengthens position in LNG market with Pronav purchase

German group has said it aims to develop several LNG bunker ships in the future.



Ship with Pronav flag. Image credit: Bernard Schulte Shipmanagement (BSM)


Updated on 11 Jan 2018 11:35 GMT

Schulte Group has looked to strengthen its position in the LNG market by signing a contract for the acquisition of 100 percent of shares in LNG ship manager Pronav.

The deal is subject to merger approval of the German Federal Cartel Office (Bundeskartellamt).

Schulte owns around 100 ships (mainly in the container, tanker and bulker sectors), managing approximately 600 vessels altogether. The Hamburg-headquartered firm currently provides management services for 23 LNG carriers and has one LNG bunkering vessel and one 174,000-cubic-metre (cbm) LNG carrier on order which are due to will join the Schulte fleet in 2018.

Commenting on the Pronav deal, Schulte said: "The transaction puts the Schulte Group in a strong position to further exploit ship owning and ship management potential in the growing LNG market."

LNG bunkering vessels

As Bunker Index previously reported, the launch date for the gas supply vessel (GSV) developed by subsidiary Bernhard Schulte Shipmanagement (BSM) and Babcock International Group is set for April 2018, with delivery expected to be five months later.

The 7,500-cbm GSV, which will be used to supply ships and small-scale LNG terminals along the Baltic Sea coast, is the first of its kind to utilize Babcock's FGSV0 technology.

Amongst the key features of the new vessel will be azimuth thrusters and pump jets to ensure high maneuverability. Frequency-driven pumps with high flow rates will allow for the fast transfer of LNG to vessels with short layovers. Offshore bunkering will be possible using DP2 technology.

The vessel is to be chartered by a joint venture - established in November 2015 - in which LNG bunker supplier Nauticor (previously named Bomin Linde LNG) has a 90 percent share and Klaipedos Nafta owns the remaining 10 percent.

BSM has previously stated that it aims to develop several LNG bunker ships in the future that would operate in various locations.

"We're not talking about building one ship, we would like to build a significant position in this new sector. We would like to see multiple ships in many geographic locations serving this new fuelling requirement," said Angus Campbell, BSM director for energy projects, when discussing the firm's future objectives in the LNG bunkering sector last year.






Related Links:

Hoglund lands automation system contract for BSM's LNG bunkering vessel
Baltic LNG bunkering network gains momentum
BSM targets LNG bunkering in 'many geographic locations'
Germany

Latest News:

Hurtigruten to upgrade up to nine ships to gas-electric power
All-electric vessel launched for Norwegian fjord route
Wartsila CEO talks up 'critical role' of LNG, calls for 'clear' GHG roadmap
Industry coalition makes case for LNG in wake of MEPC 72
Oil and fuel oil hedging market update
Brent closed at $75 but quickly fell to current levels of $73-74
Itsas Gas secures Cepsa supply contract; Oizmendi starts bunkering in Huelva
Eco Marine Power to expand Aquarius Eco Ship Project
Wartsila in first optimised maintenance tie-up for LNGPac system
Bullish momentum sends oil prices above three-year high
Oil and fuel oil hedging market update
Nor Lines LNG-fuelled ships to include Rotterdam in weekly service




Page Links:

Prices
Africa
Asia
Latin America
Middle East
North America
North Europe
South Europe
Index Summary
Price Highlights
Commentaries
Futures
Prices
Antwerp
Busan
Cape Town
Fujairah
Houston
Istanbul
Kaohsiung
Las Palmas
Maracaibo
New Orleans
Piraeus
Rio
Rotterdam
Santos
Singapore
News
Latest News
Blogs
Archive
Americas
Asia
Europe
Middle East
News
Air Pollution
Agreements & M&A's
Alternative Fuels
Cargoes & Storage
Efficiency, Costs & Charges
Environment
Events
Financial
Fuel Quality
Lubes & Additives
Oil Spills
People
Port News
Projects
Regulation/Legal
Services, Products, Technology
Statistics & Research
Vessels
Contact & Terms
Contact Us
Advertise
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Events
Upcoming Events